12.30.2009

Nov. 14, 2008

More from England:
I just need to take a moment to honor and remember a day -- a year ago today, in the heart of Charlotte, deep blue sunset skied, one of my days that will always make me happy. Being with friends and a community of people, a community that I belong to -- eating and laughing and singing, anticipating, as the night sparkled all the skyscrapers. And then we went inside to watch Davidson play UNC in basketball. In the screaming, sweaty, jump-up-and-down, horns-blasting whistles-blowing madness there was joy. And there was hope -- hope that our boys and what they stand for might... be recognized? Be known? We didn't know then what we would witness. But on that day and one year later, at the start of another season, one with more hype and expectations and frenzy than we had ever expected, I still feel the same: grateful. Proud. Cup-runneth-over-God-gave-me-this-place-reachin-out-touchin-me-touchin-you. And if I could make it there in an hour and a half, I would. Because it will be wonderful, and I will miss it. But I'll go back to it soon and tonight I will probably listen to John Kilgo (!) at 2 a.m.... just had to give thanks once again for that night.

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment