12.01.2009

March 24, 2008: "The big kids all knew"

John Burns '92 on DavidsonCats:
Last Monday, I convinced my six-year-old son to wear his Stephen Curry No. 30 jersey to school at his elementary school here in Raleigh.

When he came home, I asked him what people thought of his cool jersey (he’s in first grade - the process of molding a fan must be begun early …).

His response, as it often is when he is asked about his day, was, “I don’t know.” Nobody, it seemed, knew who Davidson was or why No. 30 was worth wearing.

What a difference a week makes.

You can bet that I asked him to wear it again this morning, and after going to the game with me on Friday, and getting caught up in the excitement, he readily agreed. So off he went: white long sleeve T-shirt, Stephen Curry No. 30 jersey down to his knees, black sweats and “the shoes that make me go fast.”

Tonight, I called to tell him good night (I’m working late to make up for the hours I spent on Davidson basketball this week). And from the first second he picked up the phone, the conversation went a little something like this:

“Dad, the bus driver liked my shirt.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. And Kobe did too.”

“Who’s Kobe?”

“A big kid on my bus. He said it was a cool shirt. He told me Davidson won.”

“But you knew that.”

“Yeah. I told him. I told him I went to the game and the gray and blue guy missed his foul shot and Davidson won.”

“Awesome.”

“Yeah, he said it was really awesome. The big kids all knew it was Stephen Curry’s jersey.”

My fellow ‘Cats, we have broken into the big time. Elementary school kids in Raleigh, normally decked out in Duke and Tar Heel blue, were telling my little boy that his Stephen Curry jersey was “really awesome.”

This is every bit as cool as I thought it would be. Don’t wake me up. It’s too much fun.

Comments?

1 comment:

  1. THanks for picking this. I thought it was lost in the ether forever.

    ReplyDelete