11.17.2009

What (I think) this is

Here's what I had in my head when Claire and I started talking about this over the summer: I've had people tell me stories about what basketball has done for them over the last couple years in particular -- March 2008 being the most powerful moment, of course, but certainly not the only moment. I'm talking about people who hadn't been back to campus for a long long time until basketball drew them back and now they keep coming back. People who hadn't seen classmates for decades until they ran into each other at a game and now their families get together for long weekends or vacations. People who were struggling or in a difficult spot or had lost loved ones and for whom basketball ended up serving as a sort of salve. All of this sounds overwrought, I know, but people have in fact told me all of these things. That's what I mean when I say it's about basketball but it's not. My hope for this project is that the people with those stories put them into words and send them along, and then we pair those pieces with the stuff that's already been written along the way, and then we put all those stories with the best of the many pictures that have come in and continue to come in, and then we put it all between two covers to form an actual physical thing that can be a community-created keepsake that as a whole at least says something about Davidson, the college, the place and the shared experience. Deadline? How about New Year's Day?

2 comments:

  1. And also stories from those of us who have arrived here more recently and found a family, a home that we may not have expected to find. Stories of these moments -- discovering home, friendships forming and staying, laughter, roadtrips, frustration and joy, realizing within these cheers and screams and songs that we are part of something important, and will always be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, a deadline. I haven't had one of those in a while.

    ReplyDelete