12.20.2009

And more from March 31, 2008

Claire in her journal:

YOU WERE GREAT IN 08 -- YOU’LL SHINE IN 09!

I know it’s small-town sweet, but seeing this sign on the town green as we finally get back just makes me want to punch something (Hey, Jayhawks, c’mere).

It doesn’t help that I have to go to class in ten minutes.

Yeah.

Around three-disgusting-something in the morning, after finally settling down and putting on a movie (Hitch has never been less funny), we stopped at a bus weigh station in Kentucky? Ohio? Tennessee? I don’t know, with a mini store and two bathrooms for over two hundred people. Good idea, bus drivers. Good plan there. Jamie had rubbed her eyes groggily as we all wandered aimless squinting through the fake lights, said, “I’m twenty minutes from home. I could just call my mom, tell her to come get me.”

And now Dr. Boyd looks around wistfully, her eyes shining too brightly. This redheaded woman, standing in a building where she once was a student, mother of two boys, looks at us -- tired in spirit just as we are, just as our bodies are fake-straight against the chairs, trying to get the bus smell out of our nostrils and the hole out of our stomachs, put away thoughts of sleep -- but could I really sleep when I keep reliving it over and over in my head? I feel thick mellowed filmy 24-hour sweat on the back of my neck even though I changed clothes. I’ve left my ears in the bowels of Ford Field.

Work just doesn’t work today. It’s not about work today.

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment