6.26.2010

It's been awhile.


On Monday night, I (a fresh alumna, stepping on unsteady feet -- hence the "it's been awhile," at least from my side) remembered something.
.
I watched the new boys -- Charlotte, Charlotte, Sewickley PA -- ball with the ones I know by heart, Montreal, Montreal, Charlotte, Davidson, Nigeria, Nigeria, Jacksonville, with Barrington IL watching close from the sidelines. I watched them play and thought about all they've been through, the moments, choices, shots missed and made. High school, NCAA, NBA, Europe. I saw different teams slammed together into one. I saw the joy and struggle from the past pushing forward into the future. I felt what this team has been for me, a vessel for community spirit and support.
.
I watched them play pick up where I always watch them (not cozy coldwinter but muggy solstice), and felt myself pushed forward a little, too; the invisible tassel on my invisible cap still dangles unevenly on that new side. Who am I? Atlanta, Charlotte, ________?
.
Maybe that won't get answered for a good, annoyingly long while. But sitting there listening to the familiar squeaks of skidded rubber on polished wood, I realized that we all came here because somewhere down our roads, this place struck us deep and gave us tales to tell. We repeat stories, create stories, await stories. That's how all this keeps moving. That's how new chapters are written.
.
Daaaaaaaaaaav-idddddddddd-sonnnnnnn.
.
I remembered all that. And after these quiet two months, I'm trying to say --
.
This is important. It's going to happen. It's still moving. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment