3.10.2010

Feb. 6, 2009

Lefty's Legacy:

I awoke in a cold sweat last Monday night, not because I forgot to turn my heat down, or had just broken a fever, but because I realized that my current budget may not be capable of sustaining the barrage of expenses that March Davidson Basketball requires. My credit line needs to be able to pack enough punch to get me wherever I need to go, at an instant, should Davidson’s dance extend through multiple rounds of play.

Fearing the worst, I began packing lunches a week ago, forgoing my midday Baja Fresh burrito for a risky salmonella-tainted PB&J and a fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt (you can buy about 10 of these for $3 at the local Teet). Becoming increasingly desperate last weekend, I walked past my staple Sam Adams and Magic Hat in the beer aisle, and hastily grabbed a six-pack of vomit-flavored Rolling Rock, knowing that those $3 saved could be the difference between a fully-loaded sausage and a stale pretzel during halftime of Davidson’s Sweet Sixteen game.

I know that Davidson, and all dominant teams for that matter, maintains its success by adopting a game-by-game approach to the season, but with the Wildcats achieving win No. 20 last night against UNC Greensboro, I’d be foolish not to start prepping for the road that lies ahead.

After spending recklessly on a couple of draft brews after watching the Wildcats’ ugly romp in the Coliseum last night, I returned home determined to renew my focus, and forced myself to suffer through the recap of last season’s final loss to Kansas.

With the pain from that bitter defeat recalled, and my March fervor for Davidson reawakened, I e-mailed my long-lost partner Base Rich, asking:

man.

can we do it again?

seriously.

Expecting little in return to appease my now rabid obsession with avenging last year’s disappointment in Detroit, I arrived at work with a six-paragraph reply in my inbox. I’ll save the nitty gritty details for Base Rich’s next post, but his conclusion was apt: We can definitely do it again. We won’t if we shoot like we did last night.

Last night. The ugly: 38 percent from the field, 6-27 from three, 15-27 from the line, 13 turnovers. Can’t get much worse. Still won by 21 points. Last season, the Socon regular season yielded a total of eight 20+ point wins for Davidson. This season, six of our last seven Socon games have resulted in 20+ point victories. Still seven games to go. I like where this is headed.

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment